Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Canapés of Grey Squirrel

A top restaurant is serving up free grey squirrel pancakes to hungry diners.

Nuts: Grey Squirrel is served in canapes
Nuts: Grey Squirrel is served in canapes

Peking duck-style squirrel wraps are being offered to diners at The Famous Wild Boar Hotel. The restaurant at Crook, near Windermere, in Cumbria, is giving diners the chance to try the canapes free of charge. The grey squirrels were caught in the hotel's 72-acre woodland grounds and have been prepared by head chef Marc Sanders.

Nibble: Wild Boar Hotel head chef Marc Sanders with the Peking duck-style squirrel treats
Nibble: Wild Boar Hotel head chef Marc Sanders with the Peking duck-style squirrel treats


I couldn't make this stuff up... thank you, I'll pass, vermin makes me queezy... Although I like the angle that it helps endangered brown squirrels.
Or, "Sometimes you get the nut, sometimes the Nuts get you."
Or, even better, "This doesn't have a fly-squirrel's chance in Hell of catching on in Boston!"

To bad we have lots of fat grey squirrels in Beantown, and they are TRASH feed. I'm not knocking it I'm just saying this is out there for you culinary enjoyment. It's nice to see British Cuisine coming into it's own with historical dishes like this. In Maine where I grew up this Grey Squirrel Pancake was also know as "roadkill". You needed a spatula and burlap bag to collect it thats all. My favorite line from the article is "I haven't tried grey squirrel but people I know who have say it tastes like chicken used to taste when it tasted like chicken."


No comments: