Thursday, October 11, 2007

Ouch!!! Orchid Thief

At least one could say “I am an Orchid Thief”… of sorts. . I was in Florida last week for a little R&R and spent some time flip-flopping to the beach to-&-fro. Along the way I spotted a cactus growing out of a ornamental mangrove tree. After a day or two I figured out it was an Orchid Cactus (Epiphyllums) of which my house has two already. Plus, have been trying to convince a friend to trade me cuttings of his white midnight blooming variety.

The Florida cactus had a ton of bloom buds and the flower is impressive 4 to 8 inches across and lasts for a day. So I swiped a pad from the rundown empty summer rental and have brought it home to Massachusetts (Zone 5). I usually ask for cutting from people gardens and am hardly ever refused. I’ve found gardener’s like to share their plants and garden knowledge. Even if they are a curmudgeon normally.


Have let the cut scab over and will place it in a sandy loam pot with some wood chips to hold moisture. And hang it in the sunniest widow and pray that it lives. Then next May I will put it out on the sunny porch with the others and let the sun bake it; this effort might reward me in 3 years with a bloom… ah!... gardening the teacher of hope and patience.


Epiphyllums, commonly referred to as Epis, or Orchid cacti, have tremendous blooms - in size, color, & FRAGRANCE! Fragrance is the one aspect of Epis that is simply not admirable unles you own one. A single bloom on an 'orchid cactus' has the ability to incense an entire house. Though they don't bloom often, and in many cases blooms only last a single night, stunning beauty and ease of care make Epiphyllums a wonderful plant that can suit many lifestyles. Attractive and for themost part disease free foliage also makes them brilliant plants when they are not blooming!


“A human being isn't an orchid, he must draw something from the soil he grows in”
~~ Sara Jeannette Duncan quotes

No comments: